Reading Kimberly Snyder’s book “The Beauty Detox Solution”, I have a whole new way of looking at food. More importantly though, I’ve come to learn about food combinations. Food combinations are so important to leading a healthy & nutritious lifestyle. I came across a great article this morning on the Mind Body Green website regarding this subject, so I thought I’d share it with you lovely people.
Food Combinations: The Secret to Healthy Eating
The discomfort of indigestion is so common in today’s society that it’s almost considered normal. Instead of using medication to suppress symptoms, wouldn’t it be wiser to properly combine foods in order to remove the causes of indigestion?
- Lean proteins: lean fish, lean meats and poultry, low-fat dairy, protein powder
- Starches and starchy proteins: grains (including bread, pasta, etc), potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, carrots, pumpkin, winter squashes, beans, lentils, peas, tofu, tempeh
- Fats and fatty proteins: avocados, olives, nuts, seeds, oils, butter, cheese, yogurt, eggs, fatty fish, poultry, meat
- Greens and non-starchy vegetables: leafy greens, sprouts, celery, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, radish, zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms, green beans, fresh corn
- Fruit: lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapples, apples, berries, pears, apricots, peaches, grapes, plums, cherries, mangoes, papayas, figs, bananas, dates, dried fruits, fruit juice, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew
- Sweeteners: sugars, syrups, malt syrups, honey
- Greens and non-starchy vegetables combine well with pretty much any type of food.
- Lean proteins combine best with greens and non-starchy vegetables.
- Starches and starchy proteins combine best with greens, non-starchy vegetables and fats.
- Fats and fatty proteins combine best with greens, non-starchy vegetables, starches.
- Fruits combine best with greens and should be eaten first as they exit the body most quickly.
- Sweeteners are best eaten on their own (i.e. in tea).
- Acidic fruits (citrus, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapples) combine well with fats or proteins.
- Melons should be eaten alone, since they digest faster than other fruits.
- Bananas can be eaten with starches due to their starchy content.
- One-pot meals cooked slowly with lots of water (like soups and stews) don’t tend to cause as much difficulty in digestion when there are poor combinations.
- Proteins with other proteins, fats, fruits and sweeteners
- Starches with other starches, proteins, fruits and sweeteners
- Fats with proteins, fruits and sweeteners